Friday, April 12, 2013

And it’s Friday again!

And apparently I’ll live.  At least for a little bit longer.  Healthy as a horse. 

Well OK,  there were a couple minor things.  I have to do a little research on LDL cholesterol, since the word is that mine is a little higher than it should be.  Quite likely has to do with whatever it is I shove into my pie hole.  We’ll see if we can resolve that.  I hear that,  if you start taking meds for high cholesterol,  then that’s it.  There’s no going back.  You’ll be taking it for the rest of your days.  I’ll pass,  thanks.  Or at least,  try and put that one off for as long as possible.  The slightly higher systolic blood pressure reading had more to do with being in the doctor’s office when the reading was taken.  There’s actually a name for that.   “We tend to stress people out a bit” according to the doc.   No kidding.

Then there was something about arthritis in my back?  What?  How do you see that on an x-ray?  I don’t seem to notice, although there is the odd time when something or other kinda hurts,  but I’ve always figured that was from doing something slightly dumb,  or simply getting older.  Take your pick.

My ‘check engine’ light hasn’t come on yet, so I’ll just keep on motorin’.

 

I don’t know if you can make him out,  but outside our bedroom window there,  is a robin.

DSC_0020

Poor little sopping wet bugger. 

I’m sure he or she would sooner be inside,  because it’s been raining so hard and so long,  that the critters in these parts are running out of places to hide.

I realise there’s that whole, “April showers bring May flowers”  crap,  but the last few days have been just nuts.  There’s no stepping onto the lawn anywhere,  unless you want to sink in up to your ankles.

Well,  maybe not quite that bad, but you know what I mean.

Hasn’t stopped me from using the BBQ just about every night.  Daughter Number Two works at this awesome deli in Oakville,  so there would be no point being a vegan in this house.  You’d be sitting there watching us eat.

DSC_0019

That steak on the right had to be a good two inches thick.  It had been marinated and then vacuum sealed to get them juices right in there.  We polished that sucker off.  The stuff off to the left there is lamb.  I have to say, not overly keen.  I’ve tried it,  and I keep on trying it cooked different ways,  and it doesn’t really rock my world.

By the way,  if you happen to be on the Book of Face,  you can do a little search for “Boffo’s” in Oakville.  Lots of pictures of meat.  Vegans stay away.  *sorry*

 

Hm, I wonder if it has anything to do with slightly elevated cholesterol?  Might hafta look into that.

Nah.

 

Tomorrow we’re off to Guelph to watch some people run.  Sure hope it warms up.  Well, for the runners too I suppose.  I was just thinking of all that standing around,  which is all that happens whenever I attend a running event.

I wonder where we stashed those camp chairs?

 

Have a fine weekend, and let’s hope it warms up.   Well, except for you people where it’s “85”.   Braggarts.

Not that I hope you get sun stroke or anything, but just don’t be kicking us when we’re down.

 

Thanks for stopping by.

 

.

9 comments:

  1. Rain....Snow... that's what the world in Canada is made off - or so it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather in Guelph should be pretty good tomorrow.
    Like to see other people making good use of their Weber grills too!
    Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how those Fridays keep showing up every week. Just never fast enough.

    You're my hero, cooking on your grill no matter how hard Mother Nature makes it for you. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be glad you're getting rain. When it passed through Nebraska we got rain, ice, wind and snow with thunder & lightning....the storm lasted pretty much for three days.

    About the cholesterol. Doctors are always trying to talk patients into the statin drugs. What they don't tell you is that the body NEEDS a good amount of cholesterol to function properly; the statins can kill you because they also keep the body from producing CoQ10, needed to keep muscle from breaking down; statins raise blood sugar levels and can cause diabetes. How's all that for side effects? Try some red yeast rice/CoQ10/non-flush niacin supplement. My brother lowered his forty points that way when the low fat diet and statins did nothing. (Well the statins made him sick and much poorer.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be glad you're getting rain. When it passed through Nebraska we got rain, ice, wind and snow with thunder & lightning....the storm lasted pretty much for three days.

    About the cholesterol. Doctors are always trying to talk patients into the statin drugs. What they don't tell you is that the body NEEDS a good amount of cholesterol to function properly; the statins can kill you because they also keep the body from producing CoQ10, needed to keep muscle from breaking down; statins raise blood sugar levels and can cause diabetes. How's all that for side effects? Try some red yeast rice/CoQ10/non-flush niacin supplement. My brother lowered his forty points that way when the low fat diet and statins did nothing. (Well the statins made him sick and much poorer.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, marinate a steak then vacuum seal it - that sounds like a helloven idea! That might be really special. I'm with you on the lamb; I keep trying it but it just isn't that special for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 85 is too hot here with out humidity, but 73 is quite nice! :-p Poor birds, this weather is confusing everyone! Wow, didn't know that about C meds - good to know. Please take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ACK, saw that typo just as I hit send! With OUR humidity that's supposed to be! 85 without might not be too bad...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello from Texas...Just a quick reply concerning your search for something to help lower your cholesterol?!
    My hubby's was almost 300! They put him on a statin...I'm a retired nurse (LVN) and was totally against it but hubby plowed on ahead thinking the Dr's are smarter than we are...(snort!) Anyway, after 2 yrs on the drug...he developed large blood spots under each arm! I Was PO'ed! I told him he was, as of NOW, OFF that darn drug and he was going to do what I Told him to do...Niacin! This is the way high cholesterol was treated in the old days. SO, I put him on 2 - 500mg Non-Flush caps a day (You can buy it over the counter Anywhere) Cheap and Easy! His cholesterol is now 173.....
    Good luck with your decision!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.